QUeBEC garlic SOUP
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Serves: 6
Recipe taken from the cookbook, Le monde à votre table
Sebastien and I were charmed by the unique taste and texture of this garlic soup long before we became garlic farmers! We have done small modifications according from our experience.
It’s THE garlic soup!
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (we use 4 large cloves of Le Petit Mas Quebec-grown garlic)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups fresh bread (crusts removed)
- 1 tsp paprika (we use 1 tbsp)
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock (you can put more stock and less water if you use a carton of ready-made broth and the quantities are not exact!)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (add more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
1 tbsp chopped parsley
On low heat, heat oil and garlic in a large stockpot, being careful not to burn the garlic! Garlic is done when it becomes transparent.
Add bread cubes and mix until well incorporated, so that they completely absorb the oil.
Add the other ingredients (except eggs and parsley) and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
With a whisk, blend soup thoroughly until smooth.
Lightly beat the eggs and add them gradually to the soup.
Simmer for another 2 minutes.
TIPS AND IDEAS FOR SIDE DISHES
This Quebec garlic soup is perfect to warm you up during the winter months!
Serve in a bread bowl and eat the bread! Yum!
You can use small garlic cloves for this recipe, but at our house, we love making it with our very large cloves!